Yulia's Reviews > A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Apr 17, 08

bookshelves: me-moirs, read-to-me-by-frank, enjoyably-awful
Read in January, 2006

So bad, it's eminently quotable. I fondly remember lines like, "I endured, I endured, I fucking endured" and "a bayonet, an eight-foot bayonet, a fucking eight-foot bayonet" both during his traumatic root canal (poor Jimmy), and "Like a child being burned alive, a child being burned alive, a child being fucking burned alive," Frey's way of describing a grown man's screaming at the top of his lungs. See the pattern here? Forgive me if I misquote him by leaving out ellipses. No, I didn't demand a refund on my copy: I borrowed the book from a friend. You could say this is stunning prose in that it feels like an eight-foot bayonet being rammed through you, but then I've never been bayoneted, so I wouldn't know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Little Pieces.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Haha! Great review!

Yulia Thanks! This book, I couldn't help but enjoy reading. I often wonder if such books deserve extra stars in recognition of how fun they are to quote. Because of course a book's being poorly written isn't enough to be amusing; it has to achieve a certain height of audacity or ambition. That's an accomplishment in itself.

message 3: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari yes! fabulous review. i had forgotten the agonizing 'descriptive' repetition.

Yulia Ah, but you endured, you endured, you f... endured. :)

message 5: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Agreed. Horribly written. Horribly written. Horribly written. (get it? Ha)