Samantha Blair's Reviews > Patriots

Patriots by James Wesley Rawles

F_50x66
Sep 01, 11

Read in September, 2011

So I've decided to stop reading this one although I'm not quite finished. I can't take it any more. As a lot of other people have said, the format for this book is really odd.

If you like lists you might really like this book. There are lists of every blood type and what types of blood those types can receive, lists of every kind of gun with the types of rounds that those guns shoot and what you might like to shoot with those guns, lists of food items, tools, and processes. Even step by step order for how to have a baby and sew up someone's arm. It was a little too list heavy for me.

Honestly, the story is kind of boring and unrealistic. Nothing at all happens for the first two years, and we don't even get to know what's happening in the country because we're focused on this tiny farm in the middle of nowhere. It's funny though: they manage to store 4 years worth of food, medical supplies, endless weapons and barter items (don't worry they are all listed) for 10 people in the basement of a small house, and they never run out of anything, despite the fact that they are supposedly giving a lot of stuff away because they are such good, charitable Christians (oh, and a token Jew).

The saving grace for this book is that it does encourage preparation and planning for the future and some of the information is accurate. Unfortunately it is fiction so you really can't use it for a help manual even though it's just about as exciting as reading a text book.

This is not my definition of a Patriotism, and really I wish that people would stop writing books like this. I believe in being prepared for difficult situations, like the one described in this book, and I would like to get on board with the "prepping" movement, but this conservative-militia-scare-tactic isn't helping anyone. It comes across as militant and hypocritical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patriots.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brendan Once you get past all that stuff and into the reforming part of the book it gets better.

Julie I only made it to about 80% and that was sing ALOT!

Robert Courson Have you read JWR's other three books?