Jeana's Reviews > Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Sep 03, 11

Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I love a tragic ending! That is what brought this long, tedious book up to a four-star rating for me. It reads slow all through the book. It's slow and daunting and laborious, just as Inman's walk home is. For some people who really like to stop and think while they're reading, that's great. But I was wanting to get through this--much like I feel at the end of a road trip and just want to get home. I get the connection here--but whether that makes the slowness of this novel worth it is another thing.

I wasn't convinced that Ada and Inman were in love. Their backstory didn't convince me. I think Inman fell in love with Ada in his walk home and Ada represented being home to him. The most interesting part of Inman's walk was his encounter with the goat lady. I hated when he killed the bear cub. I didn't think he was the hero the book was trying to portray him as. I saw him as a traitor who would do anything just to stay alive (after all, he'd decided to betray the Confederates at the end).

The brightest part of Ada's story is Ruby. Ruby is practical and smart and a good friend. She teaches Ada how to live off the land. The story of her father annoyed me--up until we started following him up to the cave and he was shot. Then it was interesting to watch Ruby's slow forgiveness of her father's neglect. I also enjoyed watching Stobrod's character grow through his appreciation and love for music.

I think I will see this movie. Not that I loved the book, because I didn't. But because I think I'll understand the characters after having spent so much time with them (you know how you learn to know someone intimately after a long journey with them).

I did NOT like the epilogue and I think the story stood better on its own without it. Epilogues should be banned from literature, INHO. And why would Ada have married Reid? Please! It's so out there and absolutely unnecessary. Oh, and I feel I need to add that the language was nice.

Okay, I just finished the movie and that made it so much better to me. So much. It's difficult to watch but it's really beautifully done.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Mountain.

02/23/2009 page 30
02/28/2009 page 100
22.27% "This is a bit slower than I hoped it would be. I hope it starts to pick up soon."
03/03/2009 page 160
35.63% "I fell asleep reading this last night--still slow."
03/05/2009 page 210
46.77% "I'm forcing myself to read 50 pages a night just to get through with this book more quickly. Maybe I should have seen the movie first!"
03/07/2009 page 340
75.72% "I suppose you could say this picked up a bit. By why oh why did we have to get into Stobroak's story. But that part was unexpected."

Barbara Ruby married Reid. It wasn't very clear in the story.