02RachaelF's Reviews > The Summer of Firsts and Lasts

The Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoy

F_50x66
Oct 25, 11

Read from September 01 to 30, 2011

The Summer of Firsts and Lasta is a story about three sisters, Calla, Violet, and Daisy. These girls end up spending a part of their summer at a sleep-away camp. (That they attend annually) Calla is the oldest sister. She is about to go to college and is working at the camp this summer. But deep down, she isn’t working there for fun, like most teenagers, she wants this summer to be romantic.She is hoping to finally tell Duncan, (her “secret crush”, in the sense that she thinks it is a secret but everybody knows,) how she really feels about him. Violet, the middle child, is learning that sometimes you need to break the rules; it’s ok to make mistakes! In turn, she meets her boy this summer… James. And then there’s Daisy, the youngest. She is normally pretty invisible when boys are involved. She learns how to date and get along with them! Finally. There is one thing that is certain though; all of these girls learn the importance and fun of love and life this summer while at this camp. You might think, why camp? That’s a bit boring. I will tell you that camp is the perfect setting for this story. In fact, this story wouldn’t even be exciting if it weren’t at camp! Camp (for this story) is the key. It's perfect, because in this case, the characters are without their parents and they can really explore themselves without feeling so restricted and they are able to grow as young adults, on their own. All of their adventures range from being hilarious to situations that will break yourself and make you want to cry yourself to sleep. However, the sisters are what really make this book worth reading. Their bond and friendship and trust for each other are incredible. I really enjoyed the story when it involved the sisters interacting together. They share such a strong and charming bond; it was hard not to appreciate it. Maybe I appreciated it so much because, I don’t have sisters of my own and found it special. However, even though I don’t have a sister, I could tell that those bonds were definitely unique. Out of these sisters, I enjoyed Violet the most! She spent a lot of time and effort trying to get Calla to work up the courage to tell Duncan how she truly felt about him. After some time, this fact started driving me crazy!! I just wanted her to get it out and over with already! The book alternated each chapter with a different sister's point of view. This Author likes to write like that. And I enjoy it to! It makes you understand more about the book and gives greater detail. It allows you to make a personal connection with each of them, which is nice. Also, it lets room for dramatic irony, a great deal of it at that to! However, at the beginning all the different points of views kind of confused me. It was hard for me to get used to because each of the sisters’ voices sound extremely similar! I kept confusing the sisters! Once I got used to it and was able to differentiate between the three sisters, I enjoyed learning more about each girl's perspective on a given situation. If you enjoy realistic fiction and stories that involve an endearing sisterly bond, then I would tell you that you must pick up a copy of this book! You will never put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of Firsts and Lasts.