Laurisa Reyes's Reviews > Patti LuPone: A Memoir

Patti LuPone by Patti LuPone

Sep 01, 11

Read in August, 2011

Patti LuPone is America's greatest living Broadway legend. Five time Tony Award nominee, twice winner (for Evita and Gypsy), Ms. LuPone takes us on her astounding and sometimes heartbreaking life's journey, including all the triumphs and potholes that she encountered along the way. From her stroke of good fortune getting a scholarship to the 1968 inaugural drama class at Julliard studying under John Houseman, to her disastrous experience in Sunset Boulevard, to her 2008 triumph in Gypsy, Ms. LuPone's story has all the twists and turns, romance and intrigue, humor and passion of a bestselling novel.

I listened to this book on CD and I'm so glad I did. Patti narrates it herself, so her personality and humor really shine. She's a crack up (and she swears like a sailor!). I laughed with her, cried with her, celebrated with her. She is a fighter, a survivor, and a lover of life. When it ended, I wanted to put in disc 1 and start listening all over again.

While the book is, I'm sure, superb (and contains many photos from Ms. LuPone's career) I have to recommend it on CD. Hearing her voice made it a very personal experience, like I was right up on stage with her. This is the first 5 star book I've listened to or read this entire year, and it's one experience I will remember fondly for many years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patti LuPone.