Gor93ous's Reviews > Timing

Timing by Mary Calmes

Sep 23, 11

The beginning premise is not nearly as fancy as Change of Heart. It’s moderately slow-paced and rather dragging at some points. The plot itself is not the essence of mouth-watering, but quite tolerable in my opinion. I don’t really like the gay-for-you storyline, because Calmes didn’t actually make it believable. I’m anticipating an internal struggle or something from Rand, but all I got from him is a sudden love confession (of some sort) out of the blue. Perhaps, in a fanfic, that’ll work just fine, but in a full-length novel it doesn’t really work for me. I have a straight friend, who was then turned gay, by a gay friend of his. They had this incredible build-up of sexual tension, of which Calmes couldn’t quite capture neither in Change of Heart nor in Timing.

The sex scenes are okay, but not necessarily mind-blowing or earth-shattering. Again, it’d be ten times hotter if Calmes cleverly build up a solid sexual tension between them.

Stefan reminded me a lot of Jin, in the sense that Calmes wanted to portray him as likable and beautiful but tried too hard. Maybe she unintentionally typed the same description for both of them. (I heard Stefan is also very similar to Jory in Calmes’ A Matter of Time series, but I haven’t read them, so I couldn’t really comment on that.) To me, Stefan was described as slightly-too-perfect, too-likable by many in the story, while sometimes I found him not that charming at all.

Overall, it's an okay read, but I’m not crazy for Calmes’ writing style. Pretty interested in A Matter of Time series, though. I’ll find some time to get my first taste on the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timing.