CuteBadger's Reviews > Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home

Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill

Sep 15, 11

Read from September 01 to 08, 2011

I really loved this book about books and book-lovers. Author and publisher Susan Hill was looking for a book in her house one afternoon and realised how many books she had gathered over a lifetime, how few of them she had read and how many were old friends she wanted to spend more time with. She therefore decided not to buy any new ones for a year and instead to "read from home".

The book is a journey through her year, telling us about the books she loves and why she loves them, as well as sharing snippets about her relationships with some of the authors and poets she has met throughout her life.

'Howards End is on the Landing' is like an extra-special box of chocolates that you can dip into and always pull out something delicious. It can be read at a couple of sittings or made to last by reading a chapter at a time - I enjoyed it so much that I was torn between the two, wanting to read it quickly as I was enjoying it so much, but trying to slow myself down to make it last longer.

If you love books this one is definitely something you should seek out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howards End is on the Landing.