Hayley's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Sep 07, 14

bookshelves: ya, mc-under-20, realistic-fiction, female-protagonist
Read on September 01, 2011

Vera Dietz has lost her best friend Charlie twice: first when he betrayed her, and again when he died under mysterious and unsavory circumstances. Vera knows something that might clear Charlie’s name, but isn’t sure she’s ready to share. Please Ignore Vera Dietz is about the courage it takes to break through the safe facade of normalcy.

King’s writing is strong and illuminating, her world and characters solid. Vera, the primary narrator, is sarcastic, intelligent, independent, and a little weird. I like her. It is easy to sympathize with her bitter regret of Charlie’s death—easy to feel the pain of Vera’s loss because halfway through the book I missed Charlie too. King’s alternating perspectives create nuance and depth. We get to hear from Vera’s dad and accounts from the deceased Charlie and the Pagoda (a town landmark) lend a dark quirkiness to the novel. Its most striking success is the clarity with which I can see through the prose of the story, how the characters and their lives become more real than the printed words before my eyes.

Vera’s tale is dark, funny, mysterious, and heartbreaking. It is honest: there is a sad, ringing truth to the tangle of emotions Vera struggles with after Charlie’s death and this honesty plays a large role in my response to the novel. I look forward to reading King’s other work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.

Quotes Hayley Liked

A.S. King
“Now it’s my turn. I am going to birth myself. I am going to be a better mother to me than she ever was. I’m going to stay faithful and stand up for myself. I am going to do more than send me fifty bucks on my birthday, and if I ever call myself on the phone, I’m going to act like I care, just a little, because I’m aware that I might need it. I will comb my own hair gently and never make myself get into bathwater that’s too hot. I am going to be the kind of mother who shows warmth.”
A.S. King, Please Ignore Vera Dietz

09/01/2011 page 39
12.0% "I love working in a library. Saw this online. Snatched it up immediately. I predict I'll be done by the end of the day. Very strong writing, by the way."
09/01/2011 page 50
15.0% "I'm really liking this book."