Orrin Grey's Reviews > B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2

Sep 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: comics, mignola
Read in August, 2011

OK, I've said before, many times, that I tend to like the B.P.R.D. comics least among the Mignolaverse titles. This isn't intended as a knock against them. One of the great things about the expanding Mignolaverse is how the different titles have different strengths and do different things, and the B.P.R.D. title just happens to be the one that is most like a mainstream team book or TV series, with long arcs and incredibly big action sequences, and so on, while I tend to prefer the smaller, quieter stories wrapped around a pulpy premise that are given by, say, the stand-alone Hellboy stories (which are probably my favorite tales from the Mignolaverse).

That said, the B.P.R.D. books are still really great, and for a lot of people they are their favorites among the Mignolaverse titles. And the Plague of Frogs hardcover collections are flat-out amazing ways to release them all; solid, attractive, and readable, with loads of bonus material in the back. I especially like, in this volume, how the various short pieces from War on Frogs were re-ordered so that they fell chronologically within the story.

So why the (comparatively) low rating? Well, this volume has the unfortunate luck of including two of my least-favorite B.P.R.D. trades, The Dead and the aforementioned War on Frogs. So, while they're much better when re-inserted as they are here, they're still not my favorites. Nevertheless, this is definitely the preferred format for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read B.P.R.D..