William Gerke's Reviews > Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs: The Thrivalist's Guide to Life Without Oil

Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs by Wendy Brown

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, concerns, 2012-reading-list
Read in March, 2012

Wendy Brown tackles her own vision of what will be necessary to survive when peak oil concerns shift us into an "oil free" state. Clear, concise, and well organized, the book is more of a template than a guide. She gets you thinking about food, shelter, transport, etc. but then points you to other resources to fill in the gaps. Her position on where the future is headed feels a bit extreme at time, but probably only because there's still a part of me that doesn't want to believe that she's right about where we're headed (that it's only a question of when, and the answer to that is "Sooner than you think."). The book definitely pushed my survivalist buttons and is, possibly, the single strongest argument for switching from renting to home ownership--so that I can implement some of her recommendations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs.