Sam's Reviews > The Iron Knight

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

A brilliant ending for a brilliant series.

Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing. Unless he can earn a soul.

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

When I first heard about the Iron Fey series, they immidiately interested me, and as soon as I started reading, I couldn't stop. Julie Kagawa has created an exciting world full of good looking fey and heart-breaking romance. The Iron Fey series has been a wonderful journey from start to finish, the only thing that I regret is the fact that it had to end!

The Iron Knight is told from Ash's POV. I loved being inside his head and seeing things through his eyes. We learn a lot more about Ariella in this book. We finally get to read, in detail, what happened that day Ash lost her. He went through a lot of pain and sorrow, until he met Meghan. The half human-half fey girl knocked down his walls and captured his heart. But everything changes when Meghan accepts her role as Queen of the Iron fey. She exiles Ash from The Iron Realm in an attempt to keep him safe; to keep him away from her.

The only way Ash can be with Meghan is if he becomes mortal. He would go to the end of the world for Meghan and that's exactly what he has to do.

The characters have to grow and take more responsibilities in this book. We also meet some new ones. Ariella. She's been living in a place that not many people can reach. She has a quest, she has to help Ash, help him get back to Meghan. I do realise that Ariella has suffered a lot and still loves Ash but I HATED her. She was trying to take him away from Meghan and I LOATHED her for it. But the ending, that changed my whole opinion of her. It even made me wish that she didn't do what she did.

Ever wondered what happened to The Big Bad Wolf? Well, in this book you'll find out! To my surprise, he was a very funny and strong character, who was willing to give up his life just to be in a story.

Favourite Quote:
“My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl.”
This is true! This happens in many books, but in this one it seemed much sadder, and much more exciting.

The Iron Knight is a book that will leave you breathless and full of mixed emotions. I can't wait to read more of Julie's books and explore more of her well-crafted worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.