Jenny's Reviews > Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic

Expecting Adam by Martha N. Beck

Apr 17, 08

This book was recommended to me as a wonderful read, filled with spiritual strength. Unfortunately, I had a very different experience with it. It greatly disturbs me that so many women have been duped by this book.

It's a memoir of Martha Beck's spiritual struggle as she gives birth to a son with Down Syndrome. In reality, it's the story of a woman's fall from truth and grace. She repeatedly rejected the hand of the Lord reaching out to her during her time of need. After I read the book, I researched Beck and saw how her choices had negatively impacted her life. The choices Beck made later in her life reinforced my feelings about this book.

Beck is a gifted writer. This book is extremely well written. Each time I put it down due to my uncomfortable feelings, I felt compelled to pick it up again and continue reading it. As I continued, I felt the Lord's Spirit withdraw from me. When I finished, I had to confess my disillusionment to those who recommended it to me. Through Beck's mastery of the written language, she fools many of her readers.

There are very few books that I would characterize as dangerous. This is one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Expecting Adam.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Well said Jenny! I agree.

Paige I couldn't agree with you more. I was sick to my stomach while reading this book. It has been the topic of many a discussion in my family.

message 3: by Drea (new)

Drea Thanks for your comments! I appreciate it!