Jex's Reviews > Hunted

Hunted by Adam Slater

Sep 01, 2011

liked it
Read from September 16 to 20, 2011

The Shadowing (Hunted) is the first installment of a series that explores the idea of chime children: those children born during the hour of the chime that have a close tie the Netherworld. Callum, a very powerful chime child, has gone his whole life thinking that he was crazy for being able to see ghosts all around town. He never thought anything of this power until the day he was faced with the Hunter, a supernatural creature out to hunt down the chime children and keep them from thwarting the evil plans that have been prepared for the Shadowing. With the help of friends, both supernatural and human, Callum will come to learn how truly important he is in the war between the Netherworld and the earthly realm.

Honestly, as I started reading this book I became very bored very fast. It started out with your typical opening horror lines of prey being stalked by the hunter, with very simplistic language and poor writing style. I don't know at what point this changed for me, but suddenly I found myself immersed in the story-line and the characters. There came a point where I didn't want to put the book down because I needed to know what happened next. Apparently, the author took a bit longer to find his stride in writing this story, but in the end he nailed it.

The creatures that were in this book are not ones I hear of all too often, or ever. Creatures such as the Fetch, the Grim, Chime Children, and the Born Dead are all creatures I haven't heard of or at least not heard described in the way they were in this particular story. The authors description of the various creatures honestly had me horrified for the main character. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to stare down the fetch or be confronted by a Grim, both of which you had no idea existed or anyway to explain what they were. I look forward to reading more about Callum on his journey through the Shadowing in the sequel. The e-book gave a nice preview of whats to come, and I'm extremely excited to hear what happens.

Overall: The book didn't start well for me, but ended with a bang. The characters were sound, and the creatures were very creepy.

(Note to reader: This review was incredibly difficult for me to write because every other thing I typed out was a spoiler and I really don't want to give anything away.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted.

09/16/2011 page 17