Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > My Fair Highlander

2043222
Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: highlander-books
Read from August 31 to September 27, 2011

Giveaway on demonlover's-link at the bottom

After the first few pages I wasn’t sure I’d like the heroine. Jemma is a shrew. She’s selfish, and impetuous...

But what I liked was that her impetuousness got her into trouble and she grew from it. So often the heroine is described as “impetuous” but is in reality selfish and just does as she pleases. Here, Jemma has spent the last few years caring for her ill father. After his death she took to riding every day---any time she pleases. In the opening scene, her brother calls her on it.

“...you spend your days doing nothing save pleasing your whims.”

He tells her she’s shirking her duties, she is in her early twenties-waay past marriageable age back then (14th c). And he’s done allowing her those freedoms. Laird Barras has asked to court her and all her brother wants is for her to give Barras a chance. Jemma takes it poorly and runs off. As she runs off, she sees the estate and people through her newly opened eyes, and instead of riding, she helps. Loved it. LOVED it!

But, she went riding at night. Not her brightest idea. Some English knights found her and tried to rape her. They came pretty close to succeeding but out of the blue some braw Scottish lads saved her. Le swoon.

Gordon’s men found Jemma’s mare running on Barras lands, so they knew she was in trouble. Gordon had taken to watching Jemma ride every morning and had gained permission to court her. After rescuing her, he can’t let her leave. She keeps finding excuses to leave whenever he’s visiting her brother, so this is his new plan of action: keep her so she gets a chance to know him. Pretty intelligent plan, I think. (his reasoning is that his first wife had been unbalanced from her parents instilling in her that “relations” with her husband was a sin. But as a wife she had to lay with him anyways. She went mad, and became a nun. The Church dissolved their marriage).

Unfortunately, once Jemma is saved, she is pretty much behaving like an ungrateful brat. At one point she is frustrated with him telling her what to do. She is spoiled enough that she has always said what she wants, and sees no need why she shouldn’t continue on that way:

"Making an offer for me does not grant you the right to dictate to me, sir."
"No lass, pulling ye off the ground before ye were raped does." His voice cut through the air like a hot knife. There was nothing friendly in his expression, only harsh judgment. "I asked yer brother for the right to court ye only, I never offered for ye and I'm thinking that a wise thing at the moment. I do nae need a wife that has nae got the sense of a child."

I was so glad he said that to her, she soo needed to hear it. And you know what? She grew up. I liked her a lot.

The only thing I didn't like, in fact I hated, HATED! the plot twist at the end. It came out of left-field and added nothing to the story. Making the plot twist the attempted killer was pretty far-fetched. There had been no allusion, no foreshadowing, nothing to hint at it, so it felt…wrong and awkward. The person of interest we all think it is, should have been it. It made sense, and it worked well. It’s hard to have a villain the whole book, and then only be told this random person is the villain. Sometimes the simplest direction works best. Luckily, that was only the last couple of pages, so it didn’t ruin the book, but it did pull me out of the story.

Mary Wine has a beautiful sense of the era and the location. She has a way of giving you a fantastic visual of a castle and its working day-to-day life. You can’t NOT enjoy her writing style.

***Thank you to Kensington for the Review Copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fair Highlander.

08/31/2011 page 8
2.0% "Oh a shrew of a heroine...please don't make me hate you"
09/05/2011 page 11
3.0% "I can't read this one right now as my kitty is sleeping on the book. Lol!"
09/21/2011 page 29
8.0% ""hold on to me, lass." sigh. I will. I *so* will"
09/22/2011 page 45
12.0% ""Making an offer for me does not grant you the right to dictate to me, sir." "No lass, pulling ye off the ground before ye were raped does." His voice cut through the air like a hot knife. There was nothing friendly in his expression, only harsh judgment. "I asked yer brother for the right to court ye only, I never offered for ye and I'm thinking that a wise thing at the moment. I do nae need" continued in comments" 4 comments
09/26/2011 page 59
16.0% ""She felt drained now that he was gone, as thought her emotions had returned to normal. But now she understood how little she felt during her everyday life.""
09/27/2011 page 370
100.0% "Wow, I'm all for a plot twist, but really? That was a bit much. Waaay out of left-field."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley the Magnificent™ Gah, dislike that! It's like someone just wanted "Highlander" to appear on the cover. (Who can blame them, but still.)

message 2: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Sep 27, 2011 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy I don't care if he's a Lowlander or not, but it's not just the title, the heroine repeatedly calls him "her Highlander" or says "Her Highlander stepped out of the shadows" and stuff like that.

It's just one of those things that I'm not going to pick on in the review, but was just curious if that bugs anyone else

Ashley the Magnificent™ You said it right. It's annoying, but not an issue. Lowlander, Highlander, Scotsman - I have noticed non-Highlander books tend to use them interchangeably. And it does bug me. (Continuity errors do tend to make the eyes twitch, don't they?) But I can't say I blame them. If I wanted to build a world for romance, it would be filled with Highlanders, too! LOL

Highlanders of the Wild, Wild West... Native American Highlanders... Highland Harem... oh my! Where was I?

I applaud the idea of a Lowland hero. In a market dominated by Highlanders, it's a great way to fit in yet stand apart. However, you gotta own it! Call that spade a spade! Let's make "lowlander" a sexy term!

Laura the Highland Hussy In my novella, I'm poking a bit of fun at all the heroines who can go back in time and instantly understand the accents. I have trouble understanding some Scottish accents now-could you imagine it being the 1700s? or in this case the 1300s?

message 5: by Ashley the Magnificent™ (last edited Sep 27, 2011 01:46PM) (new) - added it

Ashley the Magnificent™ Oh gawd, I can't imagine. It would just be this cacophony of R's and L's and Ich's rolling over you with no respect for syllables or commas... and that's assuming they are even in English!

message 6: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Sep 27, 2011 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy LOL!!! OMGsh!!! "It was just be this cacophony of R's and L's and Ich's rolling over you with no respect for syllables or commas..."

I'm dying!!

I think the Lowlanders sounded a little easier to understand so my girl is with a Lowland Scot who lives with a Highland clan now. She will hear all the Highlanders around her and wonder what in the world they are all saying.

Ashley the Magnificent™ Hah! I love it! That has got to be fun to write.

Laura the Highland Hussy it is :) I hope to finish it soon so I can post excerpts all over the place ;)

Ashley the Magnificent™ LOL, You tease!

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, yep, you got me. I'm such a tease-keep checking my website for excerpts and extras
www.laurahunsaker.wordpress.com

message 11: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin Is it just me or does the guy on the cover look like someone that has been on the Disney Channel?

Laura the Highland Hussy Ha!! I snorted just now because I laughed so. Hard!! Lol, he does!! OMGsh that's too funny!