Lizzie's Reviews > Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research

Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2 by Thomas Siddell

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, read-it-at-bedtime, myth, comics, 2011, borrowed, fantasy-or-something, talking-animals, own
Recommended to Lizzie by: borrowed from Evan.
Read from September 09 to 29, 2011

I think this is one of those reviews of a sequel that makes no sense to outsiders, but the things I gotta say are:

I love seeing more bizarre stuff from the folks we met earlier -- the goofy fairies, for one, and I'll never get sick of the psychopomps, gracious. My favorite was falling again into Zimmy's strange, scary private world, and this time causing extra problems when someone else comes too. I can't figure out anything about her and I don't really care if I do.

I enjoy Antimony learning more about what she's good at, at the formal medium training at school, and from Kat's mom who can use the blinker stone. And of course I really enjoy Kat learning more about robots. Which is basically what she does. How can this go wrong? It can't! It's pretty excellent that their discoveries in the old, giant lab full of antique robots (is that a thing?) are also unlocking some back story for us, too. It's awesome.

Though we're learning more about why the Court is there, and the old division between people and the forest's magic that Annie learns about when she visits Coyote (and more about Reynardine!), I like the persisting mystery of the school. And of what everybody can do. And of what to do with the ghosts. And of why that cut is on her face sometimes. It's all remaining just a little unclear still if any of it is creepy in a bad way. "Etheric technology." One of those ideas that's too good to explain in full, I think.

This book's crazy-laughy page would have to be Boxbot, The Worst Robot.

Also, when Kat got mad and punched Muut in the gut.

Reading number three right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2.