Brad Cramer's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: history, city-planning
Read from September 29 to December 01, 2011

This was definitely one of the more interesting books I've read in a while. As a city planner it was interesting to read about the planning and construction of the "White City" and get a feel for why it had such an impact on the immediate future of city planning and the City Beautiful movement. The history of H.H. Holmes, though disturbing, was probably more interesting than the World's Fair story. I found myself flipping pages to see when the next section about Holmes would come up. Okay, I may be a little morbid. What impressed me about Larson's writing is how he is able to take history and make it read like a good novel. I wondered at times how much of the information was his own conjecture based on the available facts, but overall it was a good read. Now on to one of his other books: "In the Garden of Beasts."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.