Holly's Reviews > Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey

Riding the Bus with My Sister by Rachel Simon

Apr 17, 08

Read in April, 2008

I'm about 3/4ths through this book and I LOVE IT. It takes place during a year when two sisters reconnect after years apart. One sister, Beth, has mental disabilities and rides the city buses all day. Beth asks her sister Rachel, who is 11 months older than her, to ride the bus with her for a year. Rachel has a job etc so she can't ride for a year but rides a few days every month. Throughout the book Rachel shares the wisdom she learns from the bus drivers, traces the ups and downs of her relationship with her sister, and gives flashbacks to their childhood. Reading stories about what happens while they ride the city buses etc is very interesting, but for me personally, learning about the dynamics of the sisterly relationship is fascinating. The two sisters were really close when they were younger but increasingly drifted apart as they grew older (the book takes place when they are in their late 30s) and it has made me wonder a great deal about what my life would have been like had Heidi not died and how our relationship may have changed etc. I can't wait to finish the book and find out how different subplots turn out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding the Bus with My Sister.