Amanda's Reviews > Look Again

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

I acquired this book at a book swap. In truth, I'm glad I didn't spend $14 on it.

"Look Again" was just WAY too much of a chick flick for me. I felt like I was watching one of those awful Lifetime original movies. All of the characters were basically cookie-cutter cut-outs. Ellen is a "strong," beautiful, single career woman. In fact, her last loser of a boyfriend had told her she was a "handful," but "a handful was the only woman worth handling" (p. 9). Her love interest, who also happens to be her boss, is a swarthy Brazilian with dark skin, compassionate eyes, and a Portuguese accent -- oh, and he also happens to be crazy about her. There is even a token b**** character -- a coworker who takes shots at Ellen every chance she gets, and is constantly pretending to be friendly but always betraying her. No original characterization at all, or even character development for that matter.

As for the story line, it really didn't live up to the adjectives in the reviews: Riveting? Thrilling? Gripping? No, not really. I mean, it wasn't bad, but again, not very original. I can't honestly say that I was surprised by the "plot twist" at the end. The plot chugged along steadily, but it was hardly a page-turner.

On the positive side, it is a very easy book to read. Very simple language, and a lyricism that flows along quite nicely. So even though it's not one of those "can't-put-it-down" books, it isn't something that will take a tremendous amount of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Again.