Weird Kid's Reviews > Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Quotes Weird Liked

Thomas Hardy
“This hobble of being alive is rather serious, don’t you think so?”

Thomas Hardy
“A strong woman who recklessly throws away her strength, she is worse than a weak woman who has never had any strength to throw away.”

Thomas Hardy
“Did you say the stars were worlds, Tess?"
"Yes."
"All like ours?"
"I don't know, but I think so. They sometimes seem to be like the apples on our stubbard-tree. Most of them splendid and sound - a few blighted."
"Which do we live on - a splendid one or a blighted one?"
"A blighted one.”

Thomas Hardy
“Do you know that I have undergone three quarters of this labour entirely for the sake of the fourth quarter?”

Thomas Hardy
“Beauty lay not in the thing, but in what the thing symbolized.”

Thomas Hardy
“Don't think of what's past!" said she. "I am not going to think outside of now. Why should we! Who knows what tomorrow has in store? ”

Thomas Hardy
“Why it was that upon this beautiful feminine tissue, sensitive as gossamer, and practically blank as snow as yet, there should have been traced such a coarse pattern as it was doomed to receive; why so often the coarse appropriates the finer thus, the wrong man the woman, the wrong women the man, many years of analytical philosophy have failed to explain to our sense of order”

Thomas Hardy
“I agree to the conditions, Angel; because you know best what my punishment ought to be; only - only - don't make it more than I can bear!”

Thomas Hardy
“If an offense come out of the truth, better is it that the offense come than that the truth be concealed.”

Thomas Hardy
“Many...have learned that the magnitude of lives is not as to their external displacements, but as to their subjective experiences. The impressionable peasant leads a larger, fuller, more dramatic life than the pachydermatous king.”

Thomas Hardy
“The beauty or ugliness of a character lay not only in its achievements, but in its aims and impulses; its true history lay, not among things done, but among things willed.”

Thomas Hardy
“you temptress,Tess; you dear damned witch of Babylon- I could not resist you as soon as I met you again.”

Thomas Hardy
“Did it never strike your mind that what every woman says, some women may feel?”

Thomas Hardy
“I wish I had never been born--there or anywhere else. ”