rabbitprincess's Reviews > Crocodile on the Sandbank

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Apr 17, 2008

bookshelves: top-100-crime-novels, bibliotheque, 2008
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Top 100 list
Recommended for: historical mystery fans, Egypt aficionados
Read in May, 2008

I can definitely see why this book was added to one of my Top 100 Crime Novels list -- it is brilliant.

The story begins in Rome, where Amelia Peabody, an irrepressible, resolute woman, rescues an unfortunate young lady from death in the streets. The young lady, Evelyn, was disinherited by her wealthy grandfather after she was seduced by a cad named Alberto. Alberto, of course, was after her fortune, and when she no longer had access to it, he left her behind. Amelia takes Evelyn under her wing, and the pair head for Egypt to spend the winter along the Nile.

Along the way, they encounter noted archaeologists, valuable Egyptian artifacts, and -- is that a mummy stalking their camp? But why? That is what Amelia must find out...

This is the first novel in the Amelia Peabody series, and it was a joy to read. Narrator Amelia is very well spoken and has very deft turns of phrase. More than once I had to keep myself from laughing aloud on the train, where I read pretty much the whole book in one go.

If you've been meaning to read Elizabeth Peters but haven't yet, do pick up this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crocodile on the Sandbank.