Terra's Reviews > How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move?: Inside My Autistic Mind

How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move? by Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: disabilities, inspirational, lyrical, nonfiction, read-more-than-once, reviewed, five-star
Read from August 31 to December 17, 2011

This is an amazing story told by a young man with severe autism who is unable to communicate verbally. If you met him on the street, you would assume that he is mentally retarded and incapable of understanding what is going on around him. But, because of the dedication of his mother and his still intact fine motor skills, he is able to tell the world what it is like to be inside the body of a severely autistic person. He is extremely intelligent, extremely kind, and has a fantastic sense of humor. The effort alone that it has taken him to achieve the feat of writing this book deserves 5 stars. But the book is actually very entertaining and in places poetic. Tito reaches the conclusion toward the end of the book that no matter what our abilities are, we are all interdependent. For instance, his therapists and caretakers depend on people like him for their bread and butter. Though he may never be able to live on his own, he makes the point that his life makes a contribution to society, even if his presense merely serves to remind the rest of us to appreciate our "normal" abilities.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move?.