Rayne's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Mar 14, 14

bookshelves: action, kickass-heroine, my-kind-of-guy, shifting-pov, there-s-romance-in-there-somewhere, dystopian, young-adult
Read from January 02 to 03, 2012

Score: 3.5

Loved it. There were some issues with the length which lead to a superficial brush of important topics in the story (which in itself felt like a way to force us to be on the lookout for the next one) and a slight underdevelopment to the characters. Still, highly recommend it. Awesome action, great writing and, overall, just a damn good book.

-----Edit 6/02/2012

I really, really enjoyed Legend. This book has to be one of my favorite dystopian novels in a while and it is mostly because of its amazing action sequences, it's fast-paced plot and due to an engaging, smart and completely independent female lead that managed to uncover the shady side of her seemingly perfect society almost by herself and not particularly because she was head over heels for a guy.

I think Lu structured a very strong setting for Legend. From the military order to the concept of the tests and the conflict between the rich and poor parts, I could visualize perfectly the world of June and Day because it was logical and well-thought out. There was a lot of information missing from this world, but that is a testament to Lu's writing skills when I could believe this world even when I wasn't given a lot of info about it's construction. Still, I wished the author had made space for it, but the length of the book was really constrictive on the development of, not only the world, but also that of the characters.

I loved June. I think she's incredibly badass and, generally, what YA heroines out there should set out to be. Like I mentioned before, what was best about June was that she wasn't just a girl experiencing those gooey feelings of a girl in love. Actually, the love part doesn't come until later into the book, and not only is it subtle, but it also never takes away from the fact that June is incredibly smart and resourceful and can very well defend herself and what she thinks. Day was also charming and I really enjoyed reading about him, but there was something missing, something to really make me connect with him. Once again, I blame this on the shortness of the book.

There are some plot holes in the story, and I felt like the ending was a bit rushed in order to make space for the next one, but overall, this is a really good, well-constructed, nicely-written and incredibly entertaining book that I strongly recommend to all lovers of YA dystopia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

01/02/2012 page 196
64.0% "I just love it when a book proves me wrong and slaps me in the face with its awesomeness. Legend, so far, its one of the very few." 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I thought this was fun, too. :)