Jessica's Reviews > A Need So Beautiful

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

F 50x66
Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

Until her skin starts to peel off, revealing shining gold skin below, Charlotte just assumed she had experienced post-traumatic stress that caused her to remember nothing of her life before the age of 6, when she became Mercy's foster daughter. While she knew she wasn't psychic, as her best friend Sarah believed, or asthmatic, as her boyfriend Harlin thought, she didn't know what was causing these painful Needs that would only go away once she had helped a specific person. When she confesses to her lifelong physician and friend, Dr. Monroe Swift, what is happening to her body, it turns out he has some unexpected answers.

As Charlotte's destiny, which she definitely does not welcome, becomes more clear and more urgent, Onika enters the picture to tempt her to change her destiny. But at what cost?

I was not particularly engaged by the characters. The story line became interesting about a third of the way through the book, and remained quite engaging for much of the middle third. The energy petered out in the last third of the book, such that I was neither happy with nor disappointed in the resolution of the story. I wasn't really rooting for either of her possible choices. (I was actually hoping a third solution would magically appear. The ending was a bit of a twist on one of the obvious endings, but not so much as to make one think it was a particularly clever resolution.)

Ages 14+ IMHO
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Need So Beautiful.