Chris's Reviews > Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Jan 03, 12

Read from August 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012

This was a really solid book about the inner workings of Lincoln's cabinet. The first half is the build up to Lincoln's nomination as the Republican candidate in 1860, while the second half follows his administration throughout the tumultuous Civil War (1861-65). While at times the author, I felt, went into too much detail about the lifestyles of the Lincoln family and the cabinet member's families during the war (e.g. what parties they threw, who they mingled with, where they vacationed), overall it was a very engaging look into the actual lives and writings of these group of interesting men (and women) during a very tough time in American history. More specifically, I gained a greater appreciation for Lincoln as a president, why he is so esteemed and venerated, and why his death was such an immense loss to the Union. This book's length and breadth will surely repel many potential readers, and I'll admit I had to be very disciplined to get through it, but it was well worth the effort.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team of Rivals.