Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Sportsman

The Sportsman by Dhani Jones

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: africa, asia, australia, europe, cambodia, north-america, south-america, sport
Read from August 31 to September 03, 2011

The fact that this book fit into 9 of my "shelves" on goodreads should be an indicator that it was a book I was designed to like. An intellectual maven and pro linebacker who loves world travel and culture - pretty much captures all of my love but chocolate.

I like what I have seen of Dhani Jones, most especially because he refuses to be limited by other's perspectives and expectations. I enjoy Dhani Jones Tackles the Globe immensely - I actually generally watch it while slogging through long runs on the treadmill. So I wanted to read the book to learn more about the his experiences at home and abroad.

I felt like it was a good book - written directly, with intensity where needed, and covered his own personal experiences in the countries he visited for the show. I was surprised about some of the background that wasn't necessarily captured in the show - and especially his views of the experiences in some countries that I would not have expected (my experience in Australia was completely different), and may have been more cultural than personal in others (Switzerland) - still, it was his perspective, his experience, and that made it interesting. I especially liked the differences from one country to another as he hit multiple countries within a month.

It wasn't knock your socks off, but it was quite good, and I recommend for anyone who likes travel, culture, or sports.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sportsman.