Pamela's Reviews > Doctor No

Doctor No by Ian Fleming

Aug 31, 2011

Read in August, 2011

I've been listening to the Simon Vance audio versions of James Bond. Very interesting to go back through them in the order they were written.

For me, this is one of the best. I recently found out that Fleming intended From Russia with Love to be the last of the Bond series. Perhaps it because he reluctantly brought him back from the dead that this Bond has more of an edge than any of the previous ones. For example, rather than worshipping M, this Bond actually gets angry at him--more than once. Fleming also delves deeper into Bond's personality. And the obstacle course sequence is one of the finest interior dialogs I've read--or rather listened to--in quite some time. Keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

For me, there was also a difference in the girl in this book. She was, of course, beautiful, and she naturally fell deeply in love with Bond the instant they met, but there was more to her than there was to the others. She wasn't just a blow-up doll there for his amusement. She had a life before and, according to what we learn at the end, would have even more of a life afterward. She did not depend upon Bond for her survival, but rather could actually do things by herself and for herself. Considering the genre and the era in which Fleming was writing, she was quite unusual.

All in all, a very good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor No.

05/13 marked as: read

message 1: by MrsRK (new)

MrsRK Since you're read several Bonds, I wonder if you agree that Daniel Craig is the best James Bond so far. I read in an article years ago, that Bond was not the nice guy Connery portrayed. Is that so? (Just curious.)

Pamela Because of my age, Connery will always be Bond of the movies to me. If you compare Connery's Bond to the "book" Bond, there is, for me at least, a huge disconnect...especially with the Bonds starting with this one. Connery's Bond remains the same while Fleming's Bond changes. Is this because, like Doyle with his Sherlock, Fleming had grown tired of his creation and wanted nothing more than for him to remain dead and buried? I have no clue whatsoever. All I am certain of is that both on screen and on the page, Bond is unforgettable!

message 3: by MrsRK (new)

MrsRK Interesting points--about wanting to kill one's creation... I get your point.

Pamela You can see a difference in the characters after they were "killed". Both seem to have sharper edges.