Jamie's Reviews > Every Last Drop

Every Last Drop by Charlie Huston

Oct 19, 08

bookshelves: fantasy-urban, vampires, noir-crime
Read in October, 2008

3.5 stars. This is a pretty good book, but this series is starting to become a little repetitive. How many more times can Joe get snatched, interrogated and threatened? A few new bad guys get introduced, but mostly Joe makes the rounds again of all the old familiar ones. Certainly don't start with this book - I don't think this it would make a bit of sense to a new reader.

This entry is darker (!) and has less humor than the earlier books. The ending is fairly satisfying, but there is obviously at least one more book to come.

Huston seems to have veered away from the paranormal aspect he touched on in the first book, and I'm glad. I like this universe without magic.

Huston's prose is still amazing. I find myself stopping to admire individual sentences. I particularly like the way he handles dialog when a character becomes inarticulate, as when overcome by strong emotion. There are no dashes to depict halted speech, no ellipses to indicate hesitation, but you can actually hear what it sounds like when a person can't think of what they want to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last Drop.

10/17/2008 page 78
28.68% "Same old Charlie Huston - I'm fascinated, horrified and amused at the same time."