nicki's Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

It was super dark and really just messed up. The writing style was very detailed and i loved the metaphors but sometimes i thouhgt she could have toned down the descriptions which is why i gave it a four instead of a five. I really loved the duel meaning of surrender as well. Gabriel having to surrender his freedom to darkness only to infect his life with the shadow of it...there was some really deep goings on. However the end deeply confused me, i suppose that was the point. ***SPOILERS*** I questioned whether Finnigan (his alter ego/twin) was really his sick friend who had done all terrible things or if Finnigan was someone Gabriel made up in his severly troubled mind. Hartnett makes it clear that he is severly troubled but, the question is, whether he is delusional enough to create a second him and alter ego with a deeply poisoned mind. who knows It was almost like a stephen king thing. I guess the author really leaves it up to you to decide if most of its real but it really eats at my brain, beacuse the whole time we believe one thing to be true and that truth is a great story with dark parts yes but with hope, hope in the good intentions of our great angelic character. only for the author to destroy that with subtle lies that grow into a larger one, that brusts in you face leaving you reeling, hoping and wishing to grasp on to some true sense of reality, proving to you that at least one of the previous events actually happened hoping that all along the angel was not indeed the devil himself. I really don't know what to call this book a masterpiece or a dissapointment...the author clearly leaves it up to you to chose and for me that chose was a hard one and i'm still confused about it. So really all that's left to say is good luck, if you ever decide to read this book. The choice is yours....or is it?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

Quotes nicki Liked

Sonya Hartnett
“I am dying: it's a beautiful word. Like the long slow sigh of the cello: dying. But the sound of it is the only beautiful thing about it.”
Sonya Hartnett, Surrender