Bonnie's Reviews > This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Mar 19, 15

bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic, zombies-like-brains, ya, arcs, baa-baa-black-sheep
Read from January 23 to 24, 2012

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

'The radio crackles the prerecorded voice of that woman at us over and over...
'This is not a test. Listen closely. This is not a test.'
But I think she's wrong. I think this is a test.
It has to be.'

The Storyline
'This is not a Test' includes a group of sorrowful teenagers trying to survive (some of them at least) and a post-apocalyptic world full of zombies.

Sloane Price has survived the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. She's joined up with 5 other kids she went to school with and they are all hiding out in their old high school, trying to survive. Except Sloane never intended on being alive for very much longer. Ever since her sister Lily abandoned her she hasn't been the same and lacks any sort of will to live.. She escaped from the beatings their father inflicted on them both, and didn't take Sloane with her. Being surrounded by kids who want more than anything to live makes her feel like an outcast as she continues to search for her way out so that she's finally 'free'.

Thoughts
I am a huge fan of zombie novels, and there's certainly no 'right' way to do them but with most zombie novels I've found that I particularly enjoy the world building aspect and finding out how the zombies came to be. If it's lacking in world building it better have a super fabulous story to focus on instead. The world-building aspect isn't explained in this story and it came off feeling like a normal teenage angst ridden story, just with zombies thrown in as secondary characters, rather them being an actual part of the story. It's almost like the author decided on two genres but forgot to mix them well enough so that they were good and blended.

I had a hard time liking the characters. These were all high school kids, hiding out in a high school, still playing high school games. I kept waiting for them to toughen up, to harden from what has happened to them, but it just didn't happen. Plus? The zombie action was quite minimal for my liking.

The ending was bleak, brutal, but unsatisfactory; more than likely just simply due to my personal preferences.. I can see how this story will be liked by many, it just wasn't overall exactly what I had anticipated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

01/23/2012 page 53
17.0% "Eh. Not impressed. Hopefully this changes."
01/24/2012 page 95
30.0% "'Rhys tests the gate. Locked.' So... what happened to the bolt cutters? That would've been a smart thing to grab, ya think?"
01/24/2012 page 292
91.0% "Seriously? They're climbing the noisy ass fence AGAIN? What the hell happened to the bolt cutters???"
show 2 hidden updates…

Heidi oh I have been wanting this one! Heafing there now! Thanks for the heads up..even though you are contributing to my TBR problem!

Bonnie Just sharing the love. lol

Heidi Just requested it!

Bonnie I've been cutting back on my Netgalley requests but that's one I couldn't pass up. :)

Heidi Yeah I am trying to stay away from NG too. As much as I hate getting denied sometimes it is a good thing!

Bonnie I wish they'd deny me more often sometimes. LOL I joined this reading challenge to read nothing but Netgalley books in January to get my numbers down but.. ugh, I suck at reading challenges. I end up rebelling hahaha

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I have over 10 NG reads downloaded. I don't even know where to begin!

Bonnie haha I've got ya beat. I think I have upwards of 30. I'm ashamed to say it... but I do know that I WILL read them... eventually.

Bonnie I meant 20! LOL

Heidi I am right under 20!

Heidi Bonnie..I am the princess of rebellion "I RUN WiTH SCISSoRs!"
now i just need to be like karen and write strictly in lowers case

Bonnie hahaha I guess I'm right at 20 now.

I can't write in strictly lowercase; it bothers me seeing lower case 'i's' all by themselves. I'm just weird like that. lol

Heidi ha ha just left youa blog comment ;)

Heidi you kate daniels whore! Devouring them all now what? Oh i know darynda jones...i am failing at my lower case.

Bonnie LOL Once I started... I could not stop. And now I'm really sad because I have to wait a really long time. I started a new UF series today by Kelly Gay. Reminds me a bit of Diana Rowland's series.

But I can't wait for Darynda's new one. So super excited. I'll blow through one and then be sad until the next one.

Heidi Hey speaking of Diana have you read White Trash Zombie?

Bonnie I have. :) I had already read her other series by the time that one came out so I was a huge fan of hers by that point... so I bought it the first day it released.

Heidi I loved that book! Can't wait for the second.

Bonnie I'm looking forward to it too. :)

message 20: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina I'm probably going to get banned from NG!

Bonnie Well they'd ban me before you. Haha!

message 22: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Not my fault I'm a book junkie! I need help......or more books!

Bonnie You and me both. No help necessary. The way I see it... I could have far worse hobbies. lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Oh I really want this one as well. This is one publisher that doesn't always approve me. Darn e darn darn.

Bonnie You know, I was looking and this will be my first request to them... my chances are probably not high.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "You know, I was looking and this will be my first request to them... my chances are probably not high."

You have a blog, they like that. I have goodreads. I refuse to start a blog. I'm too lazy to make it look good. I have a hard enough time doing reviews. I like to read not write. Doesn't make for good blogging. LOL.

You'll probably have a much better chance. :)

message 27: by AH (new) - added it

AH Oh, I requested this one too. Interesting to see if we get it.

Bonnie Here's hoping! :)

Wendy Darling 2.5 ??? Boo. But I still have to at least try it anyway. You can't keep me away from the apocalypse!

Bonnie I hope not! :D

Heidi Oh man..I was hoping this would be great!

Bonnie You and me both! But of course I could always be the minority here. :D

Heidi I will see..I hated the one I just finished New Girl.

message 34: by Bonnie (last edited Jan 24, 2012 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bonnie That was on Netgalley wasn't it? I didn't snag that one but I have seen several not so fab reviews on that.

Heidi Yes it was supposedly a remake of Rebecca.

Bonnie Ah.. Interesting. That remknds me. I had to stop in the middle of Rebecca because it was due back to the library. I need to check that back out! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I was rejected for this book on Netgalley. My first big fat "DECLINED" in forever.

message 38: by AH (new) - added it

AH Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "I was rejected for this book on Netgalley. My first big fat "DECLINED" in forever."

I got rejected to. :( No worries. I can read my big old real pile of books.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "I was rejected for this book on Netgalley. My first big fat "DECLINED" in forever."

I got rejected to. :( No worries. I can read my big old real pile of bo..."

Exactly!