D Books's Reviews > Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base

Area 51 by Annie   Jacobsen

Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy

I listened to the audio book version and heard the words "classified" and "need-to-know" used by the author one too many times. I am pleased she DID NOT take the "aliens at 51" approach to her book and really made more sense of what was being tested (new (aircraft) technology and nuclear testing) at the site. After completing the book you will not feel like Area 51 is all that mysterious and it is quite common for our government as well of other foreign governments to need to have some secluded areas in which to do their highly classified technological advancement testing no matter how sci-fi ish it may sound. One of the things I didn't like about this book was that it was not written in chronological order so she jumps around from one period to the next, and then back again. Although I did find some of the information in this book insightful, the majority of the information was redundant and sometimes I felt like she was just feeling in space for her book. She certainly could have shortened the book length. The good thing is that the author doesn't come off as being a nutty-fruitcake.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Area 51.