Andrew's Reviews > Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction

Hellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike Mignola

May 30, 08

bookshelves: yes-i-m-a-geek

Mike Mignola does great art. Some great characters. Great settings. Has some great ideas. His storytelling however isn't especially polished. And could use a few more events. I think he plots his big stories like short stories.

I love the Jack Kirbyness of the art. Heck he even has Kirby dots. The biggest flaw in his art is his characters don't really portray emotion. He can pull off angry, but even then not always. This kinda fits with his short stories. You don't have enough time to really dwell on the emotion; it is usually just a twist on a legend or folklore that Mignola read at some point. But it is very interesting and fun art.

In Seed of Destruction Cavendish Hall is a great setting but I think is under used. The conclusion also felt like he didn't know where to go so he just ended it. I believe this is the first time that he has been in charge of making the story so it is understandable that he may not have it refined.

John Byrne's scripting is alright. It has a kind of detached noir air to it. He makes it obvious he's just putting words to the already drawn pages but Mignola is the mind behind the big red freak hunting demony guy.

The Torch of Liberty seemed an odd addition. I don't know if there's more to that character than I am aware of.

This trade has the perfect smell. It smells kinda like a dusty tome. Or what my imagination tells me a dusty tome would smell like. It fits perfectly with the art/story

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellboy, Vol. 1.