Jc's Reviews > True Grit

True Grit by Charles Portis

Aug 31, 11

I first read this in early 1970 – I put my signature and date in the front. At that time I was the same age as Mattie. I did not see the Wayne film until it came to television the next year. In 2011 I watched both the Coen Bros. 2010 version and John Wayne’s 1969 original, then I re-read the 1968 book (my yellowed, well-aged 1968 paperback edition). It was fun seeing how both films played with the book – both tried hard to follow the story closely. It makes a great study in film to see how two different director/producer/actor teams portrayed the same story. Both managed to capture the humor and the threat of the story. I don’t know which of the three I recommend more. The Coen Bros. may be the most accurate, but partially that is due to two factors: advances in film technique since 1969 and the tendency for Wayne to dominate the screen (not a criticism, Wayne does a great job). But the first film really does, in its own way, give a strong interpretation of the novel. Portis’ original, however, stands on its own. The humor of the 14 year old precocious little snot of a girl bossing two grown gunmen around in order to seek vengeance really comes out in his writing. So, I say see both films (in which ever order), then read the book to see what “really” happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Grit.