Kristin's Reviews > Copper River

Copper River by William Kent Krueger

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: audio-books, mystery
Read from August 10 to 30, 2011

After my less than glowing review of Mercy Falls by WKK (book #5), and a need to be ‘reading’ something on my drive to and from work, I sucked it up and started Copper River (book #6) simply because I had it loaded on the iPod.

Book 6 at least, did not incite me to throw my iPod across the car in disgust. This is not to say I didn’t roll my eyes in disbelief more than once, or mutter the occasional “You’ve got to be kidding me…” .

We have a widow in mourning. A young boy and his close friend who have free rein to run about the town (typical small town kids) and are the ones who trigger the murder investigation. Cork who’s in hiding from hit men with a hole in his leg but nobody bothered to hide the car with the bullet holes in and everybody and their second cousins seem to walk in from the woods to check it out. There is a cougar prowling the woods and more loose ends than a piece of my fraying knitting yarn.

This is, really, the sequel to book 5 and a most unsatisfactory sequel at that. The ending left me going, “Huh… Well. What about loose end XYZ?”

So while I’m not entirely thrilled with the setting, I often find the plots lacking, the characters make me roll my eyes, and don’t even get me started on our ‘fictional’ Aurora, MN in "Tamarack County", I keep reading the damn series. I suspect if I could get John Sanford’s early Prey books on audio I wouldn’t be. But I can’t. So I’m stuck.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper River.