Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Pure

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: ya, mythology, april12, series, wishlist, read-in-2012
Read on April 03, 2012

Pure is as action-packed and steamy as its predecessor, but where Half-Blood was fresh and full of learning for both the reader and main character Alex, Pure has less of that new feeling to it. The story focuses more on the politics surrounding the Covenant and Breed Order. The daimon threat lingers throughout and Alex is still coping and learning about the whole Apollyon business, but the laws and traditions really come into play.

Seeing the Covenant world outside of Alex’s little North Carolina bubble is so different from what I expected. Nothing ever went down the way I imagined it, but I ate up how unpredictable it was. Getting an inside view into Council meetings and seeing other Hematoi made the world seem all that more three dimensional.

As much as the politics and such play into the plot, the love story also has a huge role. I have a feeling I’m in the vast minority on this, but I do not like Aiden. I don’t hate him or anything, but I can’t help but feel like he comes off as very condescending at times, and he’s a total portal of fun suckery. But Armentrout writes him spectacularly because I GET HIM. Then there’s Seth…

Seth is arrogant and cocky and a more than a little manwhorish, but I freaking love him. He’s fun and keeps Alex on her toes. And despite the fact that he comes off as selfish, there is so much more to him. Maybe it’s the bad boy thing he has going, or the mysterious side to him, but I adore Seth so much. Any scene between Seth and Alex is sure to boast incredibly heated dialogue and tension. No matter what they’re doing, it’s always passionate.

Pure shows a huge amount of growth for all the characters involved, but I was happy to see that Alex remained just as feisty as before. She’s clever and willful, but so determined sometimes that she misses the little details within the big picture. Obviously, bad things ensue. And it is so entertaining to read about! And the tension! Gah, the tension!! I don’t think I’ve read a story with so much delicious tension between characters. Whether is knockout fighting, petty arguments, or steamy scenes, the tension is always sky high and hot. I. Cannot. Wait. For. More.

This one was another thrill-ride in what I’m sensing to be an action-packed and unpredictable series. Armentrout’s writing is seductive and addicting – I couldn’t put Pure down and had to devour it in one sitting. The characters aren’t just entertaining, but have serious depth to them. I’m not only smitten with the overall story, but I cannot get enough of Alex and the Covenant world. I’m eagerly waiting for November to roll around so I can dive into Deity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.