Petra's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, young-adult, contemporary, explicit-sex
Read from September 14 to 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I expected something bittersweet, quite probably disturbing. Forbidden isn't that. This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read.

The first question I asked myself when I started reading was what could possibly make a brother and sister fall in love? Lochan and Maya have been pretty much bringing up their three younger siblings for the last 5 years since their father left and their mother started drinking and spending more time with her boyfriends than with her children. Lochan and Maya are only 13 months apart in age and have been partners and parental figures to the kids for most of their adolescent life. Eventually they develop feelings teenagers in functional families do not usually develop. They try to fight their feelings but it's pretty much impossible for them to do that. Their love feels so right I kept reading and desperately wanted them to get the happy ending they wished for.

When I finished reading the book I was crying like a baby. Forbidden is one of those books which never really leaves your thoughts. I have been trying to sort out my thoughts on it for days but still haven't wrapped my head around it all. Despite dealing with quite a difficult and taboo subject matter, it's not a morality tale, it neither condemns nor approves incest, it just tells a story. It's up to the reader to form an opinion. Or not. But it definitely makes you feel.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

Quotes Petra Liked

Tabitha Suzuma
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's horrible being ashamed of someone you care about; it eats away at you. And if you let it get to you, if you give up the fight and surrender, eventually that shame turns to hate.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can't be you?”

Tabitha Suzuma
“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Any guy, even imaginary, would just feel like second best. Second best to what? I don't even have an image of the perfect boyfriend. I just know he must exist. Because I have all these feelings-love, longing, wanting to be touched, dreaming of being kissed-yet no one to focus them on.”

09/14/2011