Sonia's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Nov 19, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, finished-copy-for-review, favourites, foreign-setting, atmospheric-setting, girl-friendships
Read from October 03 to 04, 2012

Sarah Rees Brennan was always a favourite author of mine from her Demon's Lexicon series, but now? After this book? I'll read anything she ever writes... period. It was that good.

Kami Glass was a wonderful protagonist. She was so loud and determined, never hesitant to go after what she wanted. Her character leaped off the pages at me and I really felt like we were friends! Jared was amazing as well. I don't normally go for the brooding, gloomy type but something about Jared's character clicked with me. Seeing him from Kami's mind as the 'imaginary friend' gave him another layer and a depth that just resonated with me.

The writing itself is magnificent. The humour is spot-on and it wasn't uncommon to see me laughing my head off (in public places) at it. I wouldn't hesitate to hang out with any of these characters or visit Sorry-in-the-Vale. Such an atmospheric setting!

And then... the plot. Seriously, this book did no wrong in my opinion and the storyline is definitely included in that! There's a balance in the tones of the novel that make it fun, spooky, hilarious and exciting all at once.

So, here's the deal. I love a lot of books. Perhaps I'm just easy to please and uncritical but whatever the case, the fact remains. The books that I honestly and truly adore, the books that I can feel in my soul and reduce me to ripping up paper to calm my emotions* are a bit more rare. Unspoken is one of those books.

Cover Comments: I love this. I really wish that there were more illustrated book covers because it just... works.

* true story. this ending... it buuuuuurns!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

Quotes Sonia Liked

Sarah Rees Brennan
“What the hell is going on?" demanded Kami's dad, advancing with his black eyes snapping. Jared blurted, "My intentions are honourable."
Kami sat up straight in her bed and stared in Jared's direction. "Are you completely crazy?" she wanted to know. "This isn't the eighteenth century. How do you think that's going to help?"
"Well, I mean," Jared said, back against the wall like a cornered animal. "When we're older. I mean-"
"Please shut up," Kami begged.
"I agree with Kami," said Dad. "When you're in an abyss-like hole, quit digging.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“One of the lambs fixed its attention on Jared. “Baa,” it flirted.
“Boo,” said Jared.
“Oh my God, Jared. Don’t tough-talk the lambs.”
"It was giving me a funny look.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Listen to me. I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what any of this means. But I know this much. It doesn’t matter. You’re not one of them. You never were. You’re not theirs. You’re mine.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Why are you putting on lip gloss, my daughter?” Dad asked. “Trip to the library? Trip to the nunnery? I hear the nunneries are nice this time of year”

“Is this true, Kami? Are you going out on a date?” Dad asked tragically. “Wearing that? Wouldn’t you fancy a shapeless cardigan instead? You rock a shapeless cardigan, honey.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“She overcame a moment of hesitation and glanced at Jared. All the lights in his crazy gray eyes were dancing. A shiver went through her, a ripple of his delight. She felt again the way she had at the Crying Pools and at her house, the thrill of sharing your secret soul and having someone think it was wonderful.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“She clenched her fist in his T-shirt, put her other arm around those too-broad, too-real shoulders. When he tried to pull away, she held on tight. Kami felt the surrender in his mind a moment before he laid his face in the curve of her neck. The whole world was so real it hurt.

Kami whispered into Jared's hair, "I'm always on your side.”

10/03/2012 page 200
52.0% "I know I've been saying this a lot lately but THIS BOOK IS MY SOULMATE <3 I can't stop laughing like a maniac and getting aaaall the weird looks (on the bus, on the couch, in class while I read behind my textbook....) It's pretty serious."

Sonia Seriously, if we split the cost between everyone that's dying right now, I'm sure we'd have no problem :P