Karen's Reviews > Hammered

Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

I really liked the first two books in the "Iron Druid" series; I LOVED this one.

In the last book, Atticus promised his lawyer (who happens to be an ancient Viking vampire) that he would help him bring the hurt to Thor in exchange for his help in dealing with Atticus' own little deific problem. In this book, Atticus works to make good on his promise, despite an increasing number of indications that this is a Bad Idea All Around. Not that Thor's a particularly good guy-- he's a cruel bully and kind of a butthead-- but killing gods tends to make OTHER gods really nervous or p/o'ed at you, and Atticus has one god-notch on his sword hilt already.

This book had everything I've come to expect from the "Iron Druid" series: cool druidic magic, kick-ass action, a strong supporting cast of other assorted supernatural badassery, multiple, geeky pop-culture references, and a mordant, wise-cracking wit that's not above the occasional wedgie joke.

I'd like to take a moment to point out here, too, that Christianity isn't shut out of this pantheistic joyride. Nor is it automatically characterized as an anal, authoritarian religion bent on spreading a message of intolerance. (Being Christian myself, I really appreciate that.) I feel like Hearne gave a lot of thought as to how (while still supporting the context of the story, of course) Christ might relate to people in today's world, and what he would think of someone like Atticus.

Anyway, what really put *this* volume of the series over the top for me were the stories our intrepid heroes shared around the campfire. The ostensible purpose of the stories was male bonding. No, really; Atticus needed to know these men really well-- to develop a bond with them-- in order for his planeswalking hoodoo to work on them. The end result, of course, is that we, the readers, got to know them all really well. I *really* enjoyed the different voices and styles of their stories, and really knowing the characters and what drove them made the big brawl in Asgard all that more exciting and poignant afterwards.

And then, of course, there's the cliffhanger at the end....

(See what I did there?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hammered.