Shovelmonkey1's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Aug 31, 2011

bookshelves: 1001-books, almost-chick-lit
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: too many English teachers
Recommended for: people who champion the underdog
read count: 2

As a youth I was very resilient to classic literature. Why? The reasons I would now give are as follows:

1. It was written a long time ago and therefore in my yoof-mind ( which FYI was a tight nucleus of hormones surrounded by a swirling miasma of rage)it was the book equivalent of black and white TV -dated, not relevant and generally unappealing to the eyes.

2. My teachers raved about it. Nothing is guaranteed to make you bang your head against the blackboard more than a dishevelled English Literature teacher swooning, flailing and waxing lyrical about open shirted, brooding hero types.

3. Oldy-worldy verboseness. Obviously most of us here at Goodreads are now embroiled in a torrid love affair with wordiness in general. We all clatter away at our keyboards, directing our day to day verbosity at a medium which allows us an outlet for all the words we have broiling in a big word soup inside our heads (but which many people outside of this cosy niche in cyberspace are not interested in listening to), however Georgian verboseness or even Victorian period verboseness represented a sort of textual turgidity to me.

4. Belligerence. The world thinks these books are a heart breaking work of staggering genius. I therefore, will not.

Anyway, it's been a good few years since I left school, probably more than I care to admit and while I still retain elements of both the hormonal and belligerent aspects described above, I've finally made my peace with classic lit. Prior to reaching this zen like state of literary understanding, I'd always had a little corner of my book-soul reserved for the exception that is Wuthering Heights.

Wuthering Heights is good. It is even good when you're a teenager because it is a never-ending-cycle-of-bleak. A bit like being a teenager. It fed into my inner EMO, well at least that's my excuse.

Everything about this novel is bleak. Bleak, bleak, bleak. The moors, the house, the squalid, damp, mouldering self-destructive hatred of the people brought about by intense jealousy, sibling rivalry and the great social experiment which is nature versus nurture coupled with the bleak doomed to fail love of Cathy and Heathcliff.

The story examines the slow decay of a once prosperous family, which could be directly attributed to presence of the cuckoo in the nest (the family fortunes and relations begin to deteriorate following Heathcliff's arrival). Heathcliff is regarded as another romantic ultimate, much like Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice he has come to define a type of man. The unobtainable, dark and brooding figure - the sort that certain ladies see as a "challenge". Someone to be caught and domesticated but all the while admired for his good looks. Immortalised on the silver screen and by mad-as-a-box-of-frogs singer Kate Bush. A gothic soap opera on a grand scale and also a gentle reminder that its grim up north!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

message 1: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin You have, in several paragraphs, destroyed Kate Bush, my fledgling love for Cathy, my own personal love and respect for this novel, as well as my own desire to re-read it for the fourth time and my own (personal) total worship of Emily Bronte. Maybe however not destroyed it totally, because you do, in your review, end up, probably (subconsciously) liking it, no?

I have to admit, that describing it as you have done - very rationally and objectively, maybe you are right. But a bit harsh, no?

Petra Eggs I once played Cathy in a spoof film of Wuthering Heights, I played her as Kate Bush :-) That was real destruction.

message 3: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin We all know that, apparently Kate Bush never *actually* read the novel prior to have written her groundbreaking song? And yet, as a nine year old kid, she entranced me with her moves, her dance, and that really struck a most profound chord in my soul - and look where I ended up, eh? Thanks for that.

Shovelmonkey1 Apologies to everyone whose hopes dreams, illusions etc I may have just shattered. But rest assured that this is my favourite of all the classic novels. ps kevin, I strongly believe that Kate Bush is probably indestructible (particularly as she can probably use that high pitched wailing which she does in her Wuthering Heights song to interfere with sound waves and therefore knock bullets right out of the air). PetraX please post mpg of film of you as cathy.

Mark Kate bush for primeminister thst's what i say. total genius even if, in what is a phrase i am going to have to use, she is ' mad as a box of frogs '. funny review by the way

Shovelmonkey1 Mark wrote: "Kate bush for primeminister thst's what i say. total genius even if, in what is a phrase i am going to have to use, she is ' mad as a box of frogs '. funny review by the way"

Cheers Mark - quick question - my "friends updates" email feed has stopped... is anyone else having problems with this? It means I don't get a daily round up of reviews and stuff that people hav written which is why I have not been out and about "liking" things.

Gerry Walsh You're not "resilient." You were "resistant."

Shovelmonkey1 Thanks teacher gerry! I'm not too good at the old self edit...my reviews are brain spew with the internal spell check switched off

Mark for some reason i have only just seen your plea from a year ago. interestingly i have not had anything from you for am age. this night be because you have not put anything up for a while of course

Shovelmonkey1 Mark wrote: "for some reason i have only just seen your plea from a year ago. interestingly i have not had anything from you for am age. this night be because you have not put anything up for a while of course"

Helooooo there, yes i have been a bit awol. I am working away from home, been living in a hotel for four months and am tired and too snowed to keep up with goodreads. I've not quit for good, just having a prolonged holiday. I have goodreads guilt for not being more active on site.

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Well don't work too hard and I look forward to meeting you on the threads again soon. I hope you are still able to be enjoying good reading though even if not frequenting goodreads.
ps. I am the catholic, i am supposed to be the one who has guilt lol

Shovelmonkey1 Haha so who is your money on for the next pope?