Giselle's Reviews > Wayward

Wayward by Ashley Girardi

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: ebook
Read from September 23 to 25, 2011

Ah man, up until at least three quarters through I was really enjoying this. But there are too many flaws in this book for me to justify giving more than 2 stars. I say three quarters through because I thought maybe those flaws would be explained or fixed during the story, but they weren't. It just wasn't all that exciting.

In of itself, the story is interesting. It's about witches, the most powerful witch - Wayward - to be exact, who doesn't agree to use her powers at all, never mind for evil. However, she's being forced into it by a deal she can't refuse. I love witches, them and necromancers are probably my favourite supernatural beings, but I found this one fell a bit flat and had a lot of inconsistencies.

For starters, I didn't understand why Wayward refused to use her powers, especially when it came to defending herself in a fight. Would someone know if she used them? Then why would she use magic to make a girl choke just cause she didn't like her? I didn't understand. Then there was her family - her siblings. Why was she so afraid of them? What was Marco planning to do to Sam? She was saying "eat her"… was that literal? Is he a witch or a vampire? Huh!!? o_O

The most prominent factor that I'll call a flaw, is that the villain wasn't very villainy. I wasn't afraid of him - or understood why Wayward was either. We're told he runs the Blooded - powerful beings that kill witches who tell humans about the magic - but we're never really made to be afraid of the Blooded, so why am I supposed to be afraid of Valentine again? I thought he was fairly sweet at the beginning. It also wasn't made clear if she hated him or secretly loved him.

Those were the biggest issues I had with the book. I did like the protagonist, Wayward, and the romance in the story. Wayward is a really likeable character. She wasn't full of herself or dumb. She knew what was going on and she didn't let anyone walk all over her. For the romance, I liked how it was realistic. It wasn't love at first sight or perfect from the get-go. It was normal, awkward high school romance; cute and sweet.

It wasn't horrible, it just never really captivated me. I was also let down by the ending and lack of deep plot development. If you really enjoy witches, you may still want to give it a try. You never know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayward.

09/23/2011
16.0% "Good start. Liking it so far. Please don't disappoint!" 1 comment
09/24/2011
48.0% "I could have finished this today. But instead I procrastinated on my blog. Sign. It's good though!"

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Kereesa (new)

Kereesa that cover is freaking me out. :O

Giselle Yeah me too it reminds me of the Grudge! I love it! I got this on a blog giveaway (Book'd out).

message 4: by Kereesa (new)

Kereesa Nice! :)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Sorry this fell flat for you. I'll keep it off of my list. Great review. :)

Giselle Thanks Arlene. This is the 2nd book in a row that didn't float my boat. I hope I get a break with Unearthly.

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I've heard great things about Unearthly. Hopefully that'll break the streak of duds.