Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > The Red Queen

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in October, 2011

Margaret Beaufort is not a likeable character. She is scheming. She complains a lot. She just isn't that nice. Elizabeth Woodville, the main character in the first book of the Cousins' War trilogy is scheming but has a really compelling story behind her. Margaret Beaufort seems to spend most of her life being jealous of Elizabeth Woodville, who she feels is undeserving to be queen. Margaret Beaufort just kind of annoyed me and not in a good way.

This book also covers the same time period as The White Queen so there are a lot of details that would already be recognizable to anyone who has read that book. I think it would have been interested to hear different details about the Cousins War rather than the same ones but just from Margaret's perspective. Even though Elizabeth and Margaret are from different families, both have the same view point: that each of their perspective families should have the throne.

I'm anxious to read the last installation of this trilogy as it's supposed to cover Elizabeth Woodville's mother, who seems much more interesting than Margaret Beaufort.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Queen.