Maddux's Reviews > The Dark Highlander

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: heroes-i-cannot-stop-thinking-about
Read from August 31 to September 06, 2011

On-going review:

When I first started reading this, I really did not like Dageus. As a matter of fact, I quit reading.

Several months later, I'm back to this book... and Dageus is okay. Especially since I've finished the Fever series, and he made an appearance in that..

I say Dageus is okay... Undeniably sexy, what with all that hair and that dangerous air that floats around him. He may end up being MORE than okay.

There is this... which is just dreamy and dayum. What would you do if a man looked at you and said this:
"Come with me, lass." His voice was low and urgent. "Think of your Scots blood. Doona you wish to stand on the soil of your ancestors? Doona you wish to see the heathery fields and moors? The mountains and the lochs? I'm no' a man who oft makes promises, but I promise you this"— he broke off, laughing softly as if at some private joke— "I can show you a Scotland no other man could ever show you."

Yeah. I'd get my ass on that plane.

So a dood breaks into Dageus's swanky crib, and tries to murder Chloe Zanders. Then Dageus comes back and Voices the intruder, and says, "You hurt my woman." The intruder plummets to his death, Dageus rips Chloe's clothes off to see how badly she's hurt.. then commences to doctoring her wounds and crooning to her in a dead language. THE BEST PART: He finally notices that she's only in her underwear on the couch as he puts a salve on her cuts. He takes a cashmere throw and wraps it around her. This makes me swoony.

Dageus is worried about seeing his brother again. On the drive to Inverness, he's distant and cool, thinking of all that had happened in the last 4 years. Then this happens:

A few moments later, she slipped her wee hand into his.

He tensed, startled by the gesture. He was accustomed to women reaching for many parts of him, none of them his hand.

He glanced at her, but she was staring straight ahead. Yet her hand was in his.

He closed his fingers around hers before she might snatch it away. Her wee hand was nearly swallowed by his. It meant more to him than kisses. More even than bedplay. When women sought him for sex, it was for their pleasure.

But Chloe's small hand had been given without taking.

Yeah. That's nice.

The end of the book, and I truly ended up loving Dageus. Which is a surprise, because I didn't like him to start with.

There is a decided pattern to KMM's highlander books... Especially with the Keltar Druids. They find love. They enjoy it for a short time. Eternal commitment. Somebody dies. That somebody comes back. HEA.

So. Other than the utter predictability... these books are very good reads.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Highlander.

08/31/2011 page 92
show 1 hidden update…

MsRomanticReads Hope you reserved me a seat on that plane too :)

Maddux Michelle.. sorry I haven't commented on your comment 'til now. I regret to inform you that there is only room for me on that plane. So sorry to disappoint. I think I'd keep Dageus for myself. For all time.

Maddux Dropbox readers: this file has some funny mistakes in it, because of the converter.

Kathie (katmom) It was good...he really did get me swoony!!!!