Navin's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, on-writing
Recommended for: Writers
Read from November 09, 2011 to January 03, 2012 — I own a copy

Beautiful. Knowledge should spread, and this book should sell. To be honest I have read no books by Mr. King other than this one. So my first apprehension was ‘if not knowing his style would take away anything from the experience of reading this book’. But then he is Mr. King, and put my prime worry to rest by putting in the most important element a book on writing can have – candid honesty – almost submissively, and this book is written from the lowest denominator.
Agreed that there are different ways every writer comes around in his/her writing day to the table or the pad in his/her own way. Many of my friends disagree to King’s discipline of ‘should write a 1000 words everyday’ – but then that exactly is the point. It worked for him. And as far I have know it has worked for many acclaimed writing gurus of our time and before, the list is long (Murakami, Kerouac...etc).
For writers who are just beginning to find their feet, this book is a must read. For writers floating around a little higher looking for a pole to perch – this book could be the pole. Somehow, when the younger lot trolls along this book there are going to be pages when noises in their heads would go like ‘Oh I knew this! yes!’ and then there are going to be pages when the noises might hiss “Congratulations. You are already on the way” ….
The book takes you in, and yes he talks about writing in parts beginning with the basics; story, character motivation, research etc. almost in that order. Please keep a pen around, cause in my case I ended up borrowing from not so benign people, especially while travelling.
A couple of years ago when I knew nothing about this man, I read a blog that said “come on let’s admit it Mr. King will never come close to the booker et al”. I don’t know how important or appropriate the comment was, but what I can predict is that someday there are going to be a bunch of writers around who may end up thanking Mr. King in their acceptance speech. Bravo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

Quotes Navin Liked

Stephen King
“Writing is not life, but I think that sometimes it can be a way back to life.”
Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

11/22/2011 page 160
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (last edited Jan 05, 2012 09:43PM) (new)

Sheila This is also the first Stephen King book I've read and it has to be non-fiction.

My fave quote: You must not come lightly to the blank page. And it's true. You only write when you have something to say.

Navin Agreed. But isn't it also one of the most difficult things to follow? :)

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Because everyone has a voice and wants to be heard. The Ego in George Orwell's essay (Why I Write). : )

Navin Oh. You righty.

Leftbanker "I don’t know how important or appropriate the comment was, but what I can predict is that someday there are going to be a bunch of writers around who may end up thanking Mr. King in their acceptance speech. Bravo!"

Brilliant! I can't say I'm a big fan of King but I have always respected the hell out of him. The Shining wasn't my cup of tea but I thought it was great fiction. This book is a masterpiece.

Navin Leftbanker wrote: ""I don’t know how important or appropriate the comment was, but what I can predict is that someday there are going to be a bunch of writers around who may end up thanking Mr. King in their acceptan..."

yeah... and he also makes a hell lot of money doesn't he? { By the way - I like what you have listed for favourite books - Vampireless books :) }