Megha's Reviews > FrostFire

FrostFire by Zoë Marriott

4732090
Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: awesome-cover, favorites, deserves-six-stars, own, young-adult, reviewed
Read from August 18 to 23, 2012

[This review has been taken straight from my blog, thebookmarkgirl.blogspot.com]

Before reading:

Ever since I knew that Zoe was writing FrostFire, I wanted to read it. That's, like, a year's time. And this morning, FrostFire arrived! I am so, so happy :D I have no idea what to expect because omgomgomg Shadows on the Moon was just so good, I can't believe any book can top that! But the writer IS Zoe Marriott, after all, and I have no doubt whatsoever that she will blow my mind once again!

Also, Zoe, thank you so, so much for mentioning me in the acknowledgements! I hardly deserve it! But thank you :)

After reading:

I. Love. This. Book. I love it more than I loved The Swan Kingdom, or Daughter of the Flames, or Shadows on the Moon. I love this book so, so much.

I'm really bad at explaining what books are about so I'm going to copy the Goodreads summary of this book:

Frost is cursed - possessed by a wolf demon that brings death everywhere she goes. Desperate to find a cure, she flees her home, only to be captured by the Ruan Hill Guard. Trapped until she can prove she is not an enemy, Frost grows increasingly close to the Guard’s charismatic leader Luca and his second in command, the tortured Arian. Torn between two very different men, Frost fears that she may not be able to protect either of them ... from herself.

This book is so much more than that blurb/summary, though, and that explanation really does not manage to describe the wonderfulness of this book. I've always loved Zoe Marriott's work, and every single book of hers has managed to make me squeal with excitement, which means I end up looking like a chipmunk in public XD but it is worth it! It is worth every single word in this book.

The words; they are what strike out to me the most in this book, more than the plot or the characters. Seriously, her writing flows like a river after rainfall, and the words she uses are beautiful. I'm not a fan of annotating my books but I did stick a little tag to the pages when I saw some wonderful quotes in the book and there were a LOT. One sentence (out of many) that I really loved: The stars seemed to hover just above the tents: constellations like handfuls of luminous silver sand scattered on a low ceiling of blue cloth. Even some of the most popular writers may have written There were stars in the sky. but Zoe uses words so, so beautifully that not a single page, not a single paragraph, even, is dull. Like I said, her writing flows really well, and she wields words like weapons. She is really good at using her weapons.

Luca and Arian. Why? WHY? Why did you do what you did at the end, Zoe? (For those who have read FrostFire, you will know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, just go read it already!) However, I loved ALL the characters, and whenever they got hurt, I felt the pain. Zoe Marriott created her characters fully formed, like real people - so much that I cried at the end when... certain stuff happened. (Trying not to spoil it!) The characters were flawed yet flawless, imperfect yet perfect and most importantly, they felt real, as real as my friends or that stranger on the train or the woman sitting on the bench in the park. The characters were not Mary Sues, or cliched, or stereotypical. They were multicultural! There were black characters and white characters, dark skinned, light skinned, short, tall, long haired, short haired...

My next point is Zoe Marriott's world building. W. O. W. On her blog I've always admired the way she was so intricate about world building and that is really reflected in her book. She knows everything about her world - what food you can get in each region, who leads, what the economy is like, places in the country etc.

The plot, needless to say, is fantastic! It's new and original and creative. I adore the idea of the Wolf, and spirits and I really liked the way Frost/Saram had the Wolf trapped inside her but her father was also there to be with her the whole way, even though he was dead. Also, EVERYTHING WEAVES TOGETHER! It's like a knitted scarf! The reason Frost was called Saram is linked to the story of her father, Ion is linked with Luca, Arian and Frost's histories are similar... Zoe Marriott has a way of revealing all these things that make you realise that, yes, that's absolutely RIGHT! That's just how it's meant to be.

Overall an amazing read, just like all the other Zoe Marriott books. (Thanks, Zoe, for mentioning me in the acknowledgements :D) I'm so glad I have my own copy of this book to read and reread.

5/5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read FrostFire.

08/19/2012 page 33
8.0% "I love this book so far!"
08/22/2012 page 190
43.0% "I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK."
08/22/2012 page 205
47.0% "I love this book so, so much!
<3"