William Dicks's Reviews > Affirmative Action Around the World: An Empirical Study

Affirmative Action Around the World by Thomas Sowell

Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: politics, affirmative-action, economics, favorites, all-my-books, read-2012
Read from July 04 to September 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is an excellent book by Thomas Sowell on what I would call the myth of affirmative action. One of the points highlighted by Sowell is the fact that affirmative action is implemented based on good ideas, but never on empirical evidence. And, it is because of this that affirmative action (AA) has never proven to be successful anywhere in the world. In fact, AA has been very successful in helping the upper crust of the demographic supposedly in need, and never the truly poor and destitute of that demographic.

If you ever wondered about the successes or failures of AA, then you should read this book. It has been well researched and is easy to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affirmative Action Around the World.

07/08/2012 page 30
show 8 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Sowell! :)

William Dicks I have loved reading his online essays, and so decided to read this one, especially since in South Africa we are in the middle of this thing.

message 2: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Yes, very pertinent. I've also enjoyed his online essays. I was introduced to him by a friend who recommends his work highly. I have his "Basic Economics" (still "to-read") and would also like to read "Intellectuals and Society".

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Stephen Mulholland wrote in the Business Times on Racial quotas "No matter who imposes them, racial quotas are odious. It is thus sad that Woolworths, one of numerous South African businesses created and managed by Jewish entrepreneurs, should endorse an approach favored by the likes of Josef Stalin, Hendrik Verwoerd and Adolf Hitler. It is a treacherous path calculated to drive out talent, distort the workplace, vibist injustice on the innocent and deprive society of some of its most effective minds"