Joey Cruz's Reviews > Stardoc

Stardoc by S.L. Viehl

Aug 30, 2011

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** 75% of Stardoc is a fantastic science fiction novel about a strong, engaging female protagonist taking on a global crisis with wit and resourcefulness.

The other 25% is a bad romance novel in which the only irritating character of the book is shoved down the readers' throats as a potential love interest after raping the main character (under the control of an alien intelligence), who realizes after the fact that she kind of liked it.

Doesn't matter how good the rest of it is when a major plot point turns the previously relatable protagonist into a bad stereotype acting out the writer's subversive sex fantasy.

I don't hate sex or romance in books. I just hate it when it's done wrong.

I was still willing to give the rest of the series a chance. This book ends with the protagonist leaving the planet (and that one irritating character) behind... right up until the last page, when the character -- screw it, his name is Reaver -- when Reaver surprises her by being on the ship when it leaves.

Read that: The worst character of the first book is the ONLY one that follows the protagonist into the next book.

I don't get three chapters into book two before I'm throwing it across the room and complaining to my wife about what this wonderful book she recommended to me turned into.

"They get married in one of the later books," she tells me.

I never pick up book two again.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardoc.

Argus Up until that second to last line of your review, I was prepared to overlook Reaver and get book two anyway. My favorite characters in sci-fi shows have always been the doctors, and the protagonist here reminds me a lot of Franklin from Babylon 5, but knowing that Reaver not only sticks around, but eventually marries her, is enough to make me roll my eyes and assume rude things about the author.

Mariah Jensen Oh god I'm so unhappy. I just bought the book because it was recommended and I loved it up until the rape scene. I am so disgusted and ready to throw up. I hate how quickly the book exploded. AND HE MARRIES HER?!?! If I ever met him in person I would pepperspray him to death and beat him with a spiked bat for good measure he is a total sexual assaulter.