Lindsay's Reviews > The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: picture-books

When I read this book I can't help but think that this compilation of fairytale spoofs was actually made for adults. It is like those scenes in animation films where the adults are laughing at the jokes rather than the children. This book is a playful mockery of all those simplistic fairy tales we used to enjoy as naive children. The Gingerbread Man, Jack and the Bean Stalk, Chicken Little, Little Red Riding Hood, etc... My favorite aspect of this book is not the fun it pokes at our childhood favorites, but rather the reality and common sense the narrator attempts to inject into these chaotic and irrational stories. "Jack the Narrator" has no qualms about telling it the way it is, which ironically mirrors many attitudes of adults who grow up and realize the fairy tale is not real. The lengthy text and sarcastic voice make this a must read for adults and young adults. However, this would not be my first choice for elementary students because their exposure to the original fairy tales is limited and their ability to fully detect, understand, and appreciate sarcasm has not yet developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stinky Cheese Man.