Tyler's Reviews > White Noise

White Noise by Don DeLillo

May 17, 12

Read from May 09 to 17, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Noise.

Quotes Tyler Liked

Don DeLillo
“The greater the scientific advance, the more primitive the fear.”

Don DeLillo
“The power of the dead is that we think they see us all the time. The dead have a presence. Is there a level of energy composed solely of the dead? They are also in the ground, of course, asleep and crumbling. Perhaps we are what they dream.”
tags: death

Don DeLillo
“No sense of the irony of human experience, that we are the highest form of life on earth, and yet ineffably sad because we know what no other animal knows, that we must die.”

Don DeLillo
“I've got death inside me. It's just a question of whether or not I can outlive it.”

Don DeLillo
“Doesn't our knowledge of death make life more precious?'

What good is a preciousness based on fear and anxiety? It's an anxious quivering thing”
tags: death

Don DeLillo
“The family is the cradle of the world’s misinformation. There must be something in family life that generates factual error. Over-closeness, the noise and heat of being. Perhaps even something deeper like the need to survive. Murray says we are fragile creatures surrounded by a world of hostile facts. Facts threaten our happiness and security. The deeper we delve into things, the looser our structure may seem to become. The family process works towards sealing off the world. Small errors grow heads, fictions proliferate. I tell Murray that ignorance and confusion can’t possibly be the driving forces behind family solidarity. What an idea, what a subversion. He asks me why the strongest family units exist in the least developed societies. Not to know is a weapon of survival, he says. Magic and superstition become entrenched as the powerful orthodoxy of the clan. The family is strongest where objective reality is most likely to be misinterpreted. What a heartless theory, I say. But Murray insists it’s true.”

Don DeLillo
“All plots tend to move deathward. This is the nature of plots. ”

Don DeLillo
“That's why people take vacations. No to relax or find excitement or see new places. To escape the death that exists in routine things.”

Don DeLillo
“Every advance in knowledge and technique is matched by a new kind of death, a new strain. Death adapts, like a viral agent.”

05/10/2012 page 70