Tvaleros (SpadesHighReads)'s Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-dac, 2012-debut-novels, favorites, for-review, own-arc, read-ya
Read in February, 2012

Scarlet by AC Gaughen is an adventure that will have your heart ripped out of your chest! Both from the thrill-suspense, romance, and pulse stimulating love drama!

It took a while to get a liking to the dialogue at first, but once you get into the rhythm of reading 15th century tongue it couldn't have set the mood better! How it was written had you feeling that you were one of the people of Nottinghamshire or a bandmate of Robin Hood.
The revision that AC Gaughen did for this well known legend has become my favorite version/tellings of the heroic English outlaw Robin Hood. It is so hard trying to say why I like it so much without putting in spoilers, but one major thing that I have to say is having Will Scarlet as a girl/woman made it more worth while especially with that awed open-mouthed twist near the end. Will has always been my favorite from the members of Rob's band because who doesn't fancy a guy whose skilled with knives? It screams sexy to me! =D and for Scarlet to take on that role, it's creative genius! The back history of how she, or shall I say , Will Scarlet came to be is very dramatic and pulling. All in which makes the story all the more juicy!
It is difficult to imagine how girls back then being so one dimensional compared to how woman are now; reasons why I enjoyed and love Scarlet all the more because she has more depth and strives to be an individual. She had me flustered most of the time because she couldn't just spill the beans. While with Robin, I just wanted to clobber him up side the head. With AC Gaughen's retelling of the Hood, I'm sorry Robin but Scarlet is by far my favorite character with John in the running!
Which I would also like to add and say that with Gaughen's version of Little John is the best among the other John Littles out there because he had more layers to his role as well as personality. John also added a huge chunk onto the climactic romance. =)
An AWESOME retelling that you should not pass up!! A MUST READ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.