Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > The Keepers

Aug 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, review-on-blog
Read from August 30 to September 10, 2011

I have always loved stories involving angels and demons, my first paranormal books were about angels and demons. When I had the opportunity to review The Keepers, a story about a human meeting and being protected by an angel, I jumped at the chance. The story line is very intriguing and held plenty of promise. I read an un-edited version of The Keepers, which makes this review fairly tough to write, but I will do my best.

The Keepers is about Jess, a girl who has lost her sister, her father, and now her mother. Jess’ brother urges her to get a fresh start in New Orleans after they bury her mother. Jess holds a lot of resentment towards God and struggles with her grief. While in New Orleans she befriends a girl named Vi and is attracted to Justin, a mysterious and beautiful man. Jess and Justin begin a very odd relationship, it is bot hot and cold and never stays one way or the other for very long. Due to her grief, Jess becomes very introverted and in a lot of ways fairly selfish. She is not the best of friends to Vi, who helps her all the time. Because of her tumultuous emotions, Jess is constantly pushing both Justin and Vi away.

Justin is an angel with history, and it takes time for his purpose and role in Jess’s life to unfold. The process was a bit confusing, but I am not sure if that was due to editing issues, or the nature of the story. Either way, once his role was clarified, the pieces fell into place and I understood the story much better. Justin’s attitude was an issue at times, he looks down on the human race, but after getting to know Jess better, he softens a bit.

I am not the biggest fan of Jess, she really did cry a lot, and she was not a very good friend to Vi. This was in large part due to her grief over loosing her mother, and by the later half of the story, I empathized with her situation. Her character began to make more sense, and I just wanted her and Justin to figure their stuff out. The angelic elements to this story were very interesting. As I previously stated, I love angels. I enjoyed the nature of the angels in this book, how Justin wanted to understand humans better, and how each angel has a second half. I really did enjoy the paranormal elements to the story. As the characters begin to understand each other better, the story definitely improves. When Justin and Jess aren’t fighting each other all the time, the plot develops and they come to understand who their common enemy actually is.

While I did have a hard time getting into and understanding the book, in the end, I understood the characters, the setting, and emotions that ran through the story. The Keepers has a whole new take on angels and demons and their purposes. If you enjoy books about angels and demons, you may want to give The Keepers a try.

I received this book for review from author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keepers.