Perrin Pring's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: favorites, wwii
Read from September 02 to October 03, 2011

It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did...The Book Thief is unique because while it takes place in Germany in WWII, it isn't told from a Jew's or Allied soldier's point of view. In fact, it's narrated by Death and the central character is a little German girl. Most WWII literature I've read (and I can't claim to be an expert) doesn't provide the view points of your average German citizen and their feelings on Germany's campaign. Zusak gives great insight to this. Not only that, but he gives us children's insights. What results is an incredibly well written narrative that highlights both the evil and beauty that makes up human nature. In Zusak's novel Death is cold, but eloquent, and even though you're crying at the horrors on the page, you can't help but stop and marvel at how wonderfully described they are.

To me, this book was similar to Persepolis simply because I think it is easy to brand an entire country of people as 'evil' or 'wrong'. What we often forget is that there are good people everywhere and while they might be overshadowed by the wrongs of a certain person or government, those good people are still there, doing their best to be kind and do what's right. The Book Thief shows that not all 1940's Germans were Nazis, and to think of them as so is wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.